Marae History

Te Arawa Canoe

The Te Arawa Waka arrived in Maketu in 1340 under Tama-te-Kapua and high priest Ngatoroirangi. They anchored the Te Arawa Waka to two rocks which can still be seen today. The first is Toka Parore, commonly known today as the diving board and the second is Tuterangiharuru. Tuterangiharuru is located on the other side of the surf club outside Beeches Caravan Park {also known as the wailing rock}.

Raumati of Tainui descent, burnt the Te Arawa Waka.

It was also mentioned of another rock, which was used to sharpen knifes and weapons. The name of this rock is Uruwakauruwai. It is situated on an angle off the diving board and closer to the sand.

Whakaue Kaipapa

Whakaue Kaipapa as it stands today is the original and only one built in Maketu. It was opened on the 25th May 1928. This Marae is said to be one of the first efforts of the Maori School of Arts and Craft under Mr Hamilton at Rotorua. When built there were no carvings inside the wharenui and to this day it still has no carvings.

Rangiuru

Rangiuru was the first wife of Whakaue and is also the name of the wharekai.

The wharekai was pulled down in the1960's. It was burnt and buried in the same place where the second was built. This same decade saw the starting of the second wharekai and it was completed around 1965. It was built under the guidance of Bill Wickliffe. This second wharekai was pulled down in 2001 and was also burnt. Finally the third one was opened on the 30th November 2002.

Page last updated 1 Sep 2007