Ngā Whakairo o te Whare Tūpuna
The pou whakairo on the side walls depict the many families (as possible) that settled in the valley of Tokorangi, Kakariki and the outlaying areas in particular Feilding and Awahuri, Ohinepuhiawe and Bulls, Shannon and Foxton.
A decision was made that these pou would potray the families of the 1930's - 1940's. They were all lightly decorated in coloured paints, highlighting the hair, pendants, moko and then varnished to add a change to the overall colour of the house. Unfortunately, it was not possible to carve all the families from these areas due to the maximum of 24 pou.
|1. Tokomauri, Waiwera, Mira, Rihi - Te Tomo - Reureu, Poupatate|
2. Horouta, Kataraina, Haimona, Hori, Raiha, Mereana, Wiremu, Maraea - Emery - Taurua Pa
3. Te Oti, Taumata, Mera, Parekoti - Downs - Poutu, Shannon
4. Maki, Poihaere, Ringiringi, Te Haina, Moho, Hikoinga - Hallet - Tokorangi
5. Maraenui, Parahi, Wereta - Iwikau - Tokorangi
6. Hika, Pakira, Wahanui, Tuhoro - Te Marae o Hine
1 2 3 4 5 6
|7. Tiaki, Hara, Mere, Ria, Winihana, Toni - Cribb - Te Iwa, Awahuri|
8. Tawhai, Mere, Tira, Huki, Teimana, Poupatate
9. Otene, Manawanui, Haringaroa, Ngaruwahine, Tutete - Kauwhata
10. Richardson, Unaiki, Tumeke, Ani, Pita, Maina - Richardson - Matahiwi
11. Te Oka, Weherua, Rangihoto, Aperahama, Kaparangi - Te Oka
12. Waho, Te Ahuruera, Ropata, Maramena - Emery - Ngäti Maniapoto
7 8 9 10 11 12
|13. Hiwawa, Maora, Kura, Takuta - Paurini - Reureu, Tokorangi|
14. Rotini, Punangaiti, Punanga, Henare, Rahera, Rangianu - Lawton - Kauwhata
15. Te Whiwhi, Hokepera, Pirihira, Kuia Maori, Tahurangi - Tapine - Tokorangi
16. Kawa, Niho, Hauraki, Pikiahu, Mihiroa - Tokorangi
17. Hawira, Te Haina, Hue, Huatahi - Waituna, Poupatate
18. Hone, Riria, Kune, Kehi, Te Oti - Gotty - Ohinepuhiawe
13 14 15 16 17 18
|19. Keremete, Ripai, Piwa, Ngawaka - Kakariki, Te Hiiri o Mahuta|
20. Heketoro, Ranginui, Pakake, Rangimahora - Leonard - Te Awahou
21. Toni, Rauhotu, Matu, Raita, Tupe, Waapu - Harurunui, Tokorangi
22. Tamiaho, Marama, Waikorihiata, Purangi, Kaihuia, Taare, Mahia, Tame, Aranga, Poni - Pekapeka, Tokorangi
23. Paka, Tauteka, Tauwehe, Nehu - Raumatangi, Ngatokowaru
24. Tongariro, Ruta - Shannon
19 20 21 22 23 24
Ngā Whakairo o te Mahau
|1. Taite Te Tomo who married Karetu and had Turau. Matarena was his 1st wife and Maharata his 2nd.|
2. Matawha married Mihi and had Kahurautete who married Meihana. Their son Ranui is depicted, representing their whanau.
3. Hepi married Te Wiki and had Tiniwata, Kahurangi and Tutereina of Ngati Tuwharetoa.
4. Poutu was the son of Whakatere. He married Hinekahukura and had Pikiahu.
5. Haami married Waimarama and had Horouta and Waitauhi.
6. Te Huihui married Parekahakaha and had Kereama who married Rangianewa of Ngäti Tuwharetoa. Their children are Ani, Kararaina, Rau, Takarua, Taruna
7. Te Whatanui gave his daughter te Rangingangana to Pomare to marry his nephew Whetoi to make peace between Ngapuhi and Tainui.
8. Toro and Tutunui Iwikau of Te Tikanga, Tokorangi with their three daughters Rora, Mati and Pare.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Reference: Kereama, Te Pikikotuku. (1996). Taumata o te ra marae Opening Booklet. Graphic Press & Packaging Ltd, Levin.
Page last updated 13 Jan 2010